Grandeur Peak - Dragon Tail Route - June 10, 2023

scatman

Well after being worked by @Bob in the big Jelly last week, I really had no business attempting the Dragon Tail today. It was a long, steep slog, and my knees and feet are now sore after descending the West Slope Trail off the summit of Grandeur. The West Slope Trail just happens to be my least favorite trail in the Wasatch.

Most of my shots in this report will be wildflowers. The mule ears and the Wasatch beardtongue were the most prevalent today along our route.

My cameras were as follows:

- Canon EOS 30D
- Canon PowerShot SX730 HS
- Olympus Tough TG-6

I bought the 30D used off of Ebay for a whopping 43 dollars, and the pictures that I took with it today turned out a little darker than I like, particularly when I zoomed in on a flower, or group of flowers. I'll have to compensate for that in the future. The Tough TG-6 made the trip to Yellowstone last week, but never took a picture with it. Feeling guilty about that, I used it a bit today.

Oh, and I lost my sunglasses while bushwhacking along the ridge through some scrub oak. :mad: I tried to retrace my footsteps through the scrub, but I couldn't find them. Oh well, an offering to the Grandeur gods I guess.

01.jpg
We got to the trailhead about 7:15 this morning

02.jpg
The sun is starting to come up over Grandeur. The Dragon Tail can be seen on the far right ridge.

03.jpg
My partner in crime for the day

04.jpg
Spider milkweed

05.jpg
REI down below

06.jpg
The ever present Mount Olympus to the south

07.jpg
Hookers onion

08.jpg
The climbing wall, which is the first rock formation you pass on the way to the bottom of the Dragon Tail

09.jpg
On the other side, and the east end of the climbing wall

10.jpg
Perkins Peak on Parley's Ridge, where we were about three weeks ago now.

11.jpg
Sweetvetch

12.jpg
Passing some Juniper trees, with the 215 Belt Route below.

13.jpg
The Dragon Tail ahead

14.jpg
Katie, taking a picture

15.jpg
Toadflax

16.jpg
Almost to the top of the Dragon Tail

17.jpg
Paintbrush

18.jpg
A parasailer passed right over the top of us. We would see three more as we made our way up the mountain.

19.jpg
Posing for a shot. REI down below

20.jpg
Evening primrose. There were a lot of these at the upper end of the Dragon Tail

21.jpg
Katie is making me walk the plank. :D

22.jpg
A small arch at the east end of the Dragon Tail

23.jpg
Penstemons

24.jpg
A lizard

25.jpg

26.jpg
Knife's edge between Mount Olympus and Triangle Peak

27.jpg
Wasatch beardtongue and bee

28.jpg
Bee?

29.jpg
Geranium

30.jpg
31.jpg
Got it mid chirp

32.jpg
A mosquito hawk

33.jpg
The summit comes into view. A lot of scrub oak to get through before then though. this is the section where I lost my sun
glasses

34.jpg
Looking down on Rattlesnake Gulch

35.jpg
Death Kamas

36.jpg
Sun glasses lost some where along this section

37.jpg
Ninebark on the ridge

38.jpg
Western wallflower too

39.jpg
Butterfly

40.jpg
One more hill to climb

41.jpg
On the ridge

42.jpg
I liked the look of the lichens and the rock

43.jpg
Utah serviceberry

44.jpg
American vetch

45.jpg
Another parasailer, with Desert Peak in the far distance

46.jpg
Gobblers Knob and Mount Raymond to the southeast

47.jpg
A swallowtail on the summit

48.jpg
Church Fork Peak and Mount Aire beyond

49.jpg
Summit shot

50.jpg
Lady bug on the summit

51.jpg
Canary violet

52.jpg
Heading down the West Slope Trail

53.jpg
Larkspur

54.jpg
Wasp, Bee or Hornet?

55.jpg
Mountain Mahogany

56.jpg
More death camas - sorry, kind of a dark shot

57.jpg
Another swallowtail

58.jpg
The ridge to the south of the West Slope Trail, which is the ridge we came up.

59.jpg
Wishing that I was off the West Slope Trail. :)

60.jpg
Mule ears

61.jpg
Parley's Ridge

62.jpg
Daisies

63.jpg
A butterfly

64.jpg
More paintbrush

65.jpg
Lupine and mule ears

66.jpg

67.jpg
Bumblebee

68.jpg
More vetch

69.jpg
Afternoon shot of Grandeur taken near the trailhead

70.jpg
Back at the Sube

71.jpg
View of Grandeur and the Dragon Tail from the REI parking lot. We had to exchange a flex-lite camp chair that broke while we
were at camp on Rescue Creek in Yellowstone.

The End.

I could not help but notice that Katie is wearing a brighter color this time. Was that just coincidence or did she read the Lookout Peak trip report? :)

Great reporting as always Hugh. I do like seeing all the closeups of the flowers and pollinating insects. I don't know that I've ever heard of a mosquito hawk; I've always called it a crane fly. Your adventures are inspirational and educational!

Too bad you could not have jumped up and caught a ride down with one of the parasailers vs. taking the West Slope Trail.

One day we need to make a list of all the items you've lost in the wilderness. I'd suggest we get you one of those strings that allow the sunglasses to hang around your neck, but I know you'd tell me the string would only get caught in the scrub oak and defeat the purpose. :D

Katy p[robably wore the bright colors because she knew Scat was using his darker camera. Or maybe she didn't want to get lost. Or maybe she was emulating Scat's orange cone attire of a previous trip. Or maybe she just wanted to wear orange. Or maybe... :)

And Scat could put an Airtag on his next pair of sunglasses, though the tags are kind of heavy for glasses and whoops! You need an iPhone.

ETA: You would look kind of silly with an Airtag on your glasses, and you're also telling the world you pretty much lose stuff.

I could not help but notice that Katie is wearing a brighter color this time. Was that just coincidence or did she read the Lookout Peak trip report? :)

Great reporting as always Hugh. I do like seeing all the closeups of the flowers and pollinating insects. I don't know that I've ever heard of a mosquito hawk; I've always called it a crane fly. Your adventures are inspirational and educational!

Too bad you could not have jumped up and caught a ride down with one of the parasailers vs. taking the West Slope Trail.

One day we need to make a list of all the items you've lost in the wilderness. I'd suggest we get you one of those strings that allow the sunglasses to hang around your neck, but I know you'd tell me the string would only get caught in the scrub oak and defeat the purpose. :D

Sheila and Katie both bought new hiking pants at the Memorial Day Sale at REI before we went up to Yellowstone. Both got an orange pair, and Sheila bought a green pair too. Not sure why orange caught their eye.

I only included the shots that weren't too dark. :)

72.jpg
74.jpg73.jpg
75.jpg
76.jpg
77.jpg
78.jpg
79.jpg
80.jpg

Maybe that is why the camera only cost 43 bucks! :)

Last edited:
Katy p[robably wore the bright colors because she knew Scat was using his darker camera. Or maybe she didn't want to get lost. Or maybe she was emulating Scat's orange cone attire of a previous trip. Or maybe she just wanted to wear orange. Or maybe... :)

And Scat could put an Airtag on his next pair of sunglasses, though the tags are kind of heavy for glasses and whoops! You need an iPhone.

ETA: You would look kind of silly with an Airtag on your glasses, and you're also telling the world you pretty much lose stuff.

I think everyone knows by now that I lose stuff. If Dr. Frankenstein were still around, he could probably make a whole new hiker from all the things that I have lost in the backcountry.

I'm half tempted to head back up and find those damn sun glasses.

I think the cone attire might have hit the nail on the head.

I have a glasses string.... Have never lost mine.. ... Time to consider?

That lupine / mule ears image is gorgeous!

You're going to be in fantastic shape for your summer trips!

Funny, I saw some hikers going up the West Slop of Grandeur Saturday morning at about 730am as I drove by, and thought it was a beautiful morning for a little torture.
It looks like it was!

Funny, I saw some hikers going up the West Slop of Grandeur Saturday morning at about 730am as I drove by, and thought it was a beautiful morning for a little torture.
It looks like it was!

I may have to invite you to go find some sun glasses. :)

I may have to invite you to go find some sun glasses. :)

I hope they weren't found by a local raccoon. If he has them, they would be tough to find.

d46edf6272d1e458d3a86f18dc3ee12c4f19c7e8_2000x2000.webp