Help with a Winds itinerary

What about a Titcomb Basin/Jean Lakes loop out of Elkhart Park? You'd have to do a little x-country over scree/talus or snow to cross Knapsack Col. To me, Titcomb and the Cirque are like the Second/Third Lake area around Temple Crag in the Sierra. Sure, it could be a little busy, but that view never gets old.

that’s a really great comparison thank you. can you compare knapsack to some thing in the Sierras? And if you had one trip would it be Titcomb or the cirque?

that’s a really great comparison thank you. can you compare knapsack to some thing in the Sierras? And if you had one trip would it be Titcomb or the cirque?
But for this area, that is the loop I am looking at. Yes just trying to figure out how hard knapsack will be with packs. I’m used to lots of distance but carry a pack only a few times a year. The 20 yo is less but very strong. The pack is easier.

Id do something like scab creek to middle fork, Europe, halls, bonneville, maybe into east fork towards the south. Depends on your hiking mileage ... And how you do with up and down at elevation.. remember most is around 10K feet

Course i stay away from titcomb and the cirque
Can you give more info on this? I haven’t heard of any of these spots in my research yet. I’m only attracted to those other areas because they look so nice. Definitely open two routes with less people that are equally beautiful and 30 to 40 miles.

Id do something like scab creek to middle fork, Europe, halls, bonneville, maybe into east fork towards the south. Depends on your hiking mileage ... And how you do with up and down at elevation.. remember most is around 10K feet

Course i stay away from titcomb and the cirque
I found Lee Lakes loop. Bonneville pass itself looks pretty spectacular. So hard to pick her out when you don’t know an area at all.

Agree on the 5 days, it feels like the Winds start "slower" than the eastern Sierra.

One possible trip is Scab Creek to Dream Lake and set up your base camp. Lots of potential day hikes from there. Caltopo says about 10ish miles and 1600' of elevation.
So many good ideas the mountains in that area look really spectacular

Everyone on this forum is so nice and helpful. I feel like these forums tend to be a bit derogatory not this one!

Great ideas and questions already.

If you have to go see Titcomb but only have 4-5 days your choices are set by your pace. Green R or New Fork to Island L to Elkhart plus day hike to Titcomb is close to 50 miles. Do you want to do 10 miles/day with about +9229/-10520′ total gain/loss?

The easiest is an out and back just to Island L. 24 m round trip. Add in another ~5-7 m for Titcomb. So, 12m 2600' gain, 1600' loss just to get to Island Lake from Elkhart. Either a long day (with full backpack) or 2 day entry. Walking out is easier since packs are lighter, but it's still a lot of up and down.

The alternatives @Bob gave are spectacular. Still long approaches. Could basecamp near the Cirque if you don't mind crowds. Easier walk in/out to basecamp anyway. But doing Jackass Pass twice in one day wouldn't be my choice. Very nice area near Deep Lake though. I've done that when I only had 3 days to spare. Or, camp at Big Sandy night 1, spend 2 nights in the Cirque and a long day on day 4 back to the trailhead.
Thank you I have no idea how I will pick not really knowing the differences

Here you go, a Google Earth Clip. 34 mile loop out of scab creek. Here is my post when Oldbill and I did it a couple years ago. As always you have to know your limits, experience and capabilities, I cant know that.

Can and mileage going south around Raid Peak, or going up around Halls lake. Also is a caltopo file. Personally I'd stay away from Titcomb or the Cirque. Yes the are nice, but just as much nice other places with less people. I think this area from Middle Fork to Bonneville is one of the best.

aaaa.jpg

Click here to view on CalTopo

Last edited:
I have no idea how I will pick not really knowing the differences
Yes, it's hard to recommend without knowing the capabilities and goals a bit better. Think you mentioned your son being a bit out of shape and liking things relaxed. Also 4-5 days. I'd lean towards something easier than going over Knapsack. Just getting near Island L is more than many can manage in 1 day. Easy in 2 days. I'm assuming you would also make sure you have 2 days acclimation before attempting anything as most destinations are around 10,000'. I figured you can make some measured guesses with the miles and gains listed on those routes for Titcomb viewing.

The easiest route for the Cirque is detailed here:
Cirque

Bob just gave the details for the Lee Lake loop, and the link to the report for our trip is in an earlier post. There's a bit of off-trail here, though it's not much and most sections without a formal trail now have some worn use trails. It has some of the best views in the Winds without huge mileage or highly strenuous, talus-ridden passes.

If you want all on-trail and don't mind crowds then you can pick something like Titcomb or the Cirque. If you want all on-trail and less crowds, I'd suggest seeing Lee Lake or East Fork and Shadow L (backside of the Cirque). Could extend the second option to the Cirque (but really crowded). A little off-trail work is involved with the Lee Lake loop, but just going up Scab Ck to Dream L puts you in a panorama of peaks. Could continue on over Rainbow to Lee Lake and return if you just want to stay on trail. Been up there 3 times and not tired of it yet.

Reactions: Bob
trying to figure out how hard knapsack will be
I know you've gotten lots of great advice about routes other than Titcomb, but in case you're still considering Knapsack, I wanted to let you know I did it (going west to east) and I'm not super strong, so if I could do it you probably could, too. We had a great trip - here's my report in case you want to see details.