How to estimate hiking distance?

Ryan

Hello, I am planning a back packing trip to the Sawtooth Mountains. They do not seem to have any mileage information on the trails. All I can come across is unofficial estimates from hikers. For much of the loop I want to do, I can no information at all. So far, I have traced the path on google earth (You can see the trail!) and came up with 28 miles. Is there a better method to doing this?

I have attached my desired path and line I created by tracing it on google earth

Thanks,

Attachments

• sawtoothPath.png
    sawtoothPath.png
    950.7 KB · Views: 19
Google Earth is quite accurate, but since your line won't be as finely drawn as your actual path you'll need to up the number you get from there. I find that 20-30% more is typical, but if you really draw it fine maybe 10%.

I use Caltopo and follow the marked trails on there if it's an on-trail hike. It isn't perfect, but it usually gets pretty close.

Great thanks! Does anyone know if the distance reported by google earth takes into account elevation change? Or is it just a 2D straight line distance type of thing?

It accounts for elevation change, at least if you do it in the Earth program you download onto your computer. I'm pretty sure you can see an elevation profile for your line.

Caltopo also does. :thumbsup:

You can also generate a sweet elevation profile using Captopo.

CalTopo.com totally ROCKS!
I'm using it for two upcoming hikes in the South San Juan and Wimenuche Wilderness Areas next month.
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

Always have used Google Earth myself. It seems to be pretty close. Off trail of course you will never get it quite right just because you have to do route finding in the field, but it has always given me a very good ballpark figure. I think we always figure adding 20% to Google Earth measurements on off trail travel just to be safe when estimating distances before a trip.

Caltopo. Use Map Builder Overlay as the base layer and lay a topo layer over that. More trails and routes that way. Right click on your start point. Measure -> Profile -> Left click -> draw your line. Click again when done. It gives distance and gain/ loss in a profile. You have to be patient. Divide up the measurement between waypoints and make a comment in each waypoint about distance and gain/loss in that section. Add em up all and you have it. The longer it is, the less accurate it is. Same with gain/loss. More is less accurate. It does give solid data for estimating effort and time and I use it all the time. If you use "Snap to OSM" the line will stick to trails you want to measure. It's easier that way.

Back