Montana de Oro State Park, CA, 8-15

ogg

At just under .5 miles, this overnight hike sort of flirts between the border of a long walk-in camp site and a really short backpack trip. Frankly, this is just about the finest campsite to be had along the southern California coast, unless perhaps solitude, quiet and lack of congestion bothers you.

I had the wonderful opportunity to enjoy some time here recently with my two daughters, 7 and 13, shortly before they started the new school year. My oldest was no stranger to backpacking, but for my youngest, this was to be her first remote camping trip carrying a pack. We all had a great time.

Montana de Oro SP has four such "Environmental SItes", which are walk in sites, well spaced apart and from any other use area, roughly .5 miles from any parking area and at which fires are not allowed. This particular site is #4, or "Deer Flat." It has the finest views.

IMG_0842-S.jpg

IMG_0849-S.jpg

IMG_0856-S.jpg

IMG_0869-S.jpg
IMG_0889-S.jpg

IMG_0899-S.jpg
IMG_0936-S.jpg

You're not kidding, that campsite is amazing. Especially when you get great sunset like that.

This is amazing!!! Have been researching this site and was wondering if the trail could accommodate an outdoor wheel chair. Would love to hear deatails about the .5 miles hike to take a friend. Thank you!!!

This is amazing!!! Have been researching this site and was wondering if the trail could accommodate an outdoor wheel chair. Would love to hear details about the .5 miles hike to take a friend. Thank you!!!

The trail to the campsite is mostly maintained fire road. There is a final short section that branches off from the main road/trail that is somewhat less maintained, but is nonetheless sufficient for a honey wagon to get to the outhouse. I have no experience with outdoor wheel chairs, but I can offer that I don't see the road surface quality being much of concern. However, there is a gradient to most sections of the route to camp. My mapping software tells me the route is a little over 2300 ft with a 70 ft elevation gain.

The trail to the campsite is mostly maintained fire road. There is a final short section that branches off from the main road/trail that is somewhat less maintained, but is nonetheless sufficient for a honey wagon to get to the outhouse. I have no experience with outdoor wheel chairs, but I can offer that I don't see the road surface quality being much of concern. However, there is a gradient to most sections of the route to camp. My mapping software tells me the route is a little over 2300 ft with a 70 ft elevation gain.

Thank you so much!!! You have no idea how valuable this information is to me!!! I Really appreciate it!!! !!!

What mapping software do you use? Unfortunately environmental site 4 is reserved the days I want to go and I wanted to research campsite 3. Did you by chance see 3? Heard the view isn't as great as 4.

Back