National Park/Monument Staffing

Last edited:
Im just venting now.... Not a surprise, because it was very clearly written on their website, but Im just confirming : We just passed White Sands National Monument a few hours ago, on our way from Tucson back to the Northeast (2500miles) and indeed, it was fully closed. Its been on our list for a while, but too far out of the way to drive to previously. Today we actually had to pass it and it was closed.:mad:
Dramatic weather with rainbows, storms and clouds, photos would have been spectacular- if you could only get in there! Many desperate ones stopped along the road to snap some pictures from the edge. Oh well.... another day.
FYI: All roads were open in the Saguaro NP (west and east) around Tucson, but the visitor center (and toilets) were closed.

Titans, this is soooo unfortunate! I feel for you. Several times in my life have visited White Sands N.M. and it is indeed a very interesting park with all the white gypsum sand. Hope one day that you get to see the area. In my opinion it is too bad that they hold the Park System hostage in these Gov't Shutdowns.

Head over to CA folks!
Probably won't last, but currently, every park I have been looking at for a trip in two weeks is still open, Yosemite, Point Reyes, Death Valley, Sequoia.
Point Reyes warns people that their reserved campground may or may not be available, because they won't be asking people to leave unless 'safety is at risk'. I have a feeling there won't be rangers around since all the campgrounds are 'hike in'.

Head over to CA folks!
Probably won't last, but currently, every park I have been looking at for a trip in two weeks is still open, Yosemite, Point Reyes, Death Valley, Sequoia.
Point Reyes warns people that their reserved campground may or may not be available, because they won't be asking people to leave unless 'safety is at risk'. I have a feeling there won't be rangers around since all the campgrounds are 'hike in'.

I hope you will be able to do your trip @Miya ! One day we will get to some of the CA parks. I was thinking about the Joshua park after reading your report, but we would try to visit during a non-holiday season. Let us know how your trip goes!

The Parks should not be closed to begin with. We pay our tax dollars for these parks so they should remain open while only 17% of the govt is off.
If they want to close them off, stop taking my tax dollars.

The Parks should not be closed to begin with. We pay our tax dollars for these parks so they should remain open while only 17% of the govt is off.

Totally agree. I'm not suggesting it should be locked, I'm just saying cutting a lock at a federal facility maybe isn't the smartest thing to do.

It's the roads that are closed and locked because there's no one to plow the roads. it's for the safety of the public to close the roads so people don't get stuck...

It's the roads that are closed and locked because there's no one to plow the roads. it's for the safety of the public to close the roads so people don't get stuck...

I say let ‘em take their chances and pay for a tow bill. Isn’t that what we do in the back country anyway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I say let ‘em take their chances and pay for a tow bill. Isn’t that what we do in the back country anyway?

I agree, except for the possibility of damage when they get stuck and then drive off the road or something and tear things up.

It's easy to say because most of us are prepared out there. The vast majority of people that would likely get stuck on a snowy road however probably aren't, and spending a night out there could kill them.

It's unfortunate that many of us need protection from ourselves. Image the potential legal battles when someone dies because they're stuck on an unplowed road in a National Park with no cell service.

Back