New Year's Snow in Zion

Scott Chandler

Wildness is a necessity- John Muir
Seldom does southwest Utah get much snow and even more seldom does that happen over the new year. So when around an inch fell in St George, I headed towards Zion to see what fell there.

I must say, it was quite pretty.
Snowy Zion-1.jpg Snowy Zion-2.jpg Snowy Zion-4.jpg Snowy Zion-5.jpg Snowy Zion-7.jpg

A couple weeks ago I had driven up the canyon to see crazy low clouds forming off the cliffs. Wanting something a little different I went through the tunnel to the eastern side of the park. To be honest, I think the lines in the rock make that side pop because the sheet of snow that covered the area wasn't as awesome as I thought it'd be.

That said, it's definitely awesome to see with the eyes, if not with the camera. Even if I did use my camera.
Snowy Zion-8.jpg Snowy Zion-10.jpg Snowy Zion-12.jpg Snowy Zion-13.jpg

Coming back down into the canyon I found crowds and the road closed at the Lodge. It'd seen plenty and thus called it an experience, although walking by the river and getting intimate pictures would have been fun in hindsight.

Snowy Zion-14.jpg

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

awesome. we saw a little snow on the top when i was there in march, but not near so pretty

Back