Southern Absaroka & Thorofare Mountain (Teton/Washakie Wilderness) - July 2023

TheMountainRabbit

"The mountains don't care."
So after last year's trip to Younts Peak, I joined some friends in the Sierra Nevada and apparently couldn't shut up about the Absarokas - so they decided to join up with me this year for a trip. I drew up a route that looked pretty fun - much of it was territory I've covered before, but with a few extra wrinkles. My plan for the trip was to stay up high as much as possible, while still making the route into a loop. In July the conditions on top of the plateaus seem to be most ideal, but down in the trees can be pretty miserable. I thought this trip turned out pretty great, though there were a few interesting moments on Day 2 and I'm not sure I'd recommend this exact route. (And I definitely don't recommend climbing Thorofare Mountain - but more on that later.)

Day 1: Brooks Lake to South Buffalo Fork
I've done the exact same approach for three years straight, so this day was mostly pretty familiar. We had beautiful conditions - which would thankfully continue throughout the trip. The trail up to Bonneville Pass is pretty innocuous, but as soon as you leave the FS trail and head up to the Divide the route is spectacular. Unlike previous years, this time we headed west across the plateau right before hitting Perry N Boday Lake. Our plan was to camp up on the plateau away from any bug pressure - while the bugs down low were far from the worst I've seen, this still seemed prudent.

Spotted a fox snacking on a small family of rodents on my drive in. He grabbed at least three while I watched.
20230720_063636.jpg
Bonneville Pass - as beautiful as ever.
20230720_082612.jpg
On our way up.
20230720_084034.jpg
One of my favorite sections - despite being right at the beginning.
20230720_095805.jpg
Huge herd of elk in the distance up on the plateau.
20230720_141437.jpg
Camp for the night.
20230720_183945.jpg
View from camp.
20230720_183814.jpg

Day 2: South Buffalo Fork to Crater Lake
Today would be an interesting day - it was our lowest elevation day, but definitely the crux of our trip. Part of our plan was to keep the route as high as possible, but in an attempt to make a loop we would need to drop down from the plateau and cross the South Buffalo Fork. I had pretty minimal beta on the off-trail sections, but everything went pretty well - even if it wasn't always the "easiest" way. We followed a bit of an outfitter trail down sections of the drainage down - with some fantastic cliffside views. The trail sections were very tame, but quite hot in the burned areas. Eventually we would climb back up onto the plateau and camp above Crater Lake.

Looking at much of our route for the day.
20230721_083811.jpg
Trail!
20230721_095546.jpg
Love a good meadow.
20230721_104520.jpg
Pretty warm through here - relished the water crossings.20230721_105333.jpg
The route up onto the next plateau was relatively steep and had lots of downfall - but upon reaching the upper section it was spectacular.
20230721_153001.jpg
Looking back.
20230721_154813.jpg
Crater Lake with the Tetons in the distance.
20230721_160502.jpg
Camp for the night.
20230721_182413.jpg
Closer view of the Tetons.
20230721_190723.jpg

Day 3: Crater Lake to Marston Pass (and Thorofare Mountain)
Today is the day I was looking forward to most - I'd previously been through this section, but stayed down lower on the trails. On this trip we would follow the Divide directly - including the ridgeline between the South Fork of the Yellowstone and Lost Creek. Excellent views all day - absolutely loved it.

One more look at the Tetons in the AM.
20230722_064051.jpg
Ferry Lake from the Divide.
20230722_083958.jpg
Can't escape the Tetons - not that I wanted to.
20230722_084204.jpg
First good look at the South Fork of the Yellowstone - much of our route for the day followed the edge of this canyon.
20230722_104010.jpg
Expansive views continue.
20230722_105259.jpg
Thorofare Mountain.
20230722_115709.jpg
Very large section of old rockfall made for very dramatic relief.
20230722_125546.jpg
Younts Peak.
20230722_130555.jpg
Younts Peak and Thorofare Mountain.
20230722_140806.jpg
We setup camp at about the same place I did last year before climbing Younts Peak. Beautiful spot, if a little windy.
20230722_152313.jpg

So a couple caveats before discussing Thorofare Mountain: 1) we did not climb it the "right way"; and 2) I don't really recommend it, even if you do it the "right" way. Younts Peak is a much better climb w/ the same (or better) "bang for your buck". Thorofare is a pile of crumbly rock all the way up - even the grassy slopes to the west are not much fun. That said, me and the one member of our group dumb enough to follow me gave it a shot and had a great time. But seriously - just climb Younts.

Views of Younts on our way up.
20230722_161627.jpg
We're committed now, right?
20230722_164003.jpg
So... we didn't technically make the summit. Stopped about 50' shy, because it was just too sketchy. But the views were fantastic nonetheless.
20230722_175232.jpg
The upper ridge was definitely the easiest part.
20230722_175644.jpg
Thorofare Creek drainage.
20230722_175949.jpg
Looking back up the ridge.
20230722_180648.jpgHome, sweet home.
20230722_202755.jpg
Thorofare Mountain from camp.
20230722_202811.jpg

Day 4: Marston Pass to Lake 10,445'
So pretty much the next two days are the same route that I've followed the last two years (and wrote trip reports for), so I'll keep this pretty brief. But Day 4 did bring our only two grizzly sightings of the trip! One early and the second at our camp for the evening.

On trail very briefly to start the day.
20230723_093518.jpg
Can you spot the grizzly? (Right in the middle.) I spotted him thanks to a coyote and group of ravens that appeared to be following him in hopes of a "free" meal. For a few minutes I thought we might be stumbling across a carcass, but other than the grouping there was no other evidence of such. He was at a nice distance, so we just watched him for a bit before he wandered out of sight.
20230723_104629.jpg
Large piece of petrified wood.
EDIT_20230723_123440.jpg
The plateaus were significantly drier/melted than last year's July trip, but this section is always reliable.
20230723_143043.jpg
Camp! Beautiful spot I've looked at staying a few times before, but really glad I did this time. Also the location of my second bear sighting (no pictures, sorry). Right as I walked up to our camp location I spotted a grizzly by the nearby stream - he took one look at me and bolted. I was able to watch him clear the next ridgeline, too. He wanted to be near me far less than I wanted to be near him. :lol:
20230723_171920.jpg
Looking down the drainage.
20230723_171951.jpg

Day 5: Lake 10,445' to Brooks Lake
Beautiful day, but not much new to say. This section has been covered plenty. Got back to our cars and had a hamburger at Cowboy Cafe before going our separate ways.

Crescent Mountain.
20230724_071325.jpg
Always love this view.
20230724_115812.jpg

Last edited:
Great route and TR! About as close to a griz as I'd like to get. Where was last photo taken? What'd you think of that Durston?

Great route and TR! About as close to a griz as I'd like to get. Where was last photo taken? What'd you think of that Durston?
Last photo is on the final plateau - overlooking the Dundee Meadows area.

Love the Durston so far. It's replacing my much loved (and abused) Plexamid for solo, summer trips - this is my first significant trip w/ it though.

Last edited:
Absolutely beautiful! Thanks for sharing your adventure!

So after last year's trip to Younts Peak, I joined some friends in the Sierra Nevada and apparently couldn't shut up about the Absarokas - so they decided to join up with me this year for a trip. I drew up a route that looked pretty fun - much of it was territory I've covered before, but with a few extra wrinkles. My plan for the trip was to stay up high as much as possible, while still making the route into a loop. In July the conditions on top of the plateaus seem to be most ideal, but down in the trees can be pretty miserable. I thought this trip turned out pretty great, though there were a few interesting moments on Day 2 and I'm not sure I'd recommend this exact route. (And I definitely don't recommend climbing Thorofare Mountain - but more on that later.)

I've done the exact same approach for three years straight, so this day was mostly pretty familiar. We had beautiful conditions - which would thankfully continue throughout the trip. The trail up to Bonneville Pass is pretty innocuous, but as soon as you leave the FS trail and head up to the Divide the route is spectacular. Unlike previous years, this time we headed west across the plateau right before hitting Perry N Boday Lake. Our plan was to camp up on the plateau away from any bug pressure - while the bugs down low were far from the worst I've seen, this still seemed prudent.

Spotted a fox snacking on a small family of rodents on my drive in. He grabbed at least three while I watched.
View attachment 123800
View attachment 123801
On our way up.
View attachment 123803
View attachment 123804
View attachment 123806
Camp for the night.
View attachment 123810
View from camp.
View attachment 123809

Today would be an interesting day - it was our lowest elevation day, but definitely the crux of our trip. Part of our plan was to keep the route as high as possible, but in an attempt to make a loop we would need to drop down from the plateau and cross the South Buffalo Fork. I had pretty minimal beta on the off-trail sections, but everything went pretty well - even if it wasn't always the "easiest" way. We followed a bit of an outfitter trail down sections of the drainage down - with some fantastic cliffside views. The trail sections were very tame, but quite hot in the burned areas. Eventually we would climb back up onto the plateau and camp above Crater Lake.

View attachment 123811
Trail!
View attachment 123812
Love a good meadow.
View attachment 123813
Pretty warm through here - relished the water crossings.View attachment 123814
The route up onto the next plateau was relatively steep and had lots of downfall - but upon reaching the upper section it was spectacular.
View attachment 123815
Looking back.
View attachment 123816
View attachment 123817
Camp for the night.
View attachment 123819
View attachment 123820

Today is the day I was looking forward to most - I'd previously been through this section, but stayed down lower on the trails. On this trip we would follow the Divide directly - including the ridgeline between the South Fork of the Yellowstone and Lost Creek. Excellent views all day - absolutely loved it.

View attachment 123821
View attachment 123822
View attachment 123823
First good look at the South Fork of the Yellowstone - much of our route for the day followed the edge of this canyon.
View attachment 123824
View attachment 123825
Thorofare Mountain.
View attachment 123826
View attachment 123827
Younts Peak.
View attachment 123828
View attachment 123829
We setup camp at about the same place I did last year before climbing Younts Peak. Beautiful spot, if a little windy.
View attachment 123830

So a couple caveats before discussing Thorofare Mountain: 1) we did not climb it the "right way"; and 2) I don't really recommend it, even if you do it the "right" way. Younts Peak is a much better climb w/ the same (or better) "bang for your buck". Thorofare is a pile of crumbly rock all the way up - even the grassy slopes to the west are not much fun. That said, me and the one member of our group dumb enough to follow me gave it a shot and had a great time. But seriously - just climb Younts.

View attachment 123831
View attachment 123832
So... we didn't technically make the summit. Stopped about 50' shy, because it was just too sketchy. But the views were fantastic nonetheless.
View attachment 123833
View attachment 123834
View attachment 123835
View attachment 123836Home, sweet home.
View attachment 123837
View attachment 123838

So pretty much the next two days are the same route that I've followed the last two years (and wrote trip reports for), so I'll keep this pretty brief. But Day 4 did bring our only two grizzly sightings of the trip! One early and the second at our camp for the evening.

View attachment 123839
Can you spot the grizzly? (Right in the middle.) I spotted him thanks to a coyote and group of ravens that appeared to be following him in hopes of a "free" meal. For a few minutes I thought we might be stumbling across a carcass, but other than the grouping there was no other evidence of such. He was at a nice distance, so we just watched him for a bit before he wandered out of sight.
View attachment 123841
View attachment 123842
The plateaus were significantly drier/melted than last year's July trip, but this section is always reliable.
View attachment 123843
Camp! Beautiful spot I've looked at staying a few times before, but really glad I did this time. Also the location of my second bear sighting (no pictures, sorry). Right as I walked up to our camp location I spotted a grizzly by the nearby stream - he took one look at me and bolted. I was able to watch him clear the next ridgeline, too. He wanted to be near me far less than I wanted to be near him. :lol:
View attachment 123844
View attachment 123845

Beautiful day, but not much new to say. This section has been covered plenty. Got back to our cars and had a hamburger at Cowboy Cafe before going our separate ways.

Crescent Mountain.
View attachment 123846
Always love this view.
View attachment 123847
Gotcha a new home I see…spectacular pics!

We used to take horse packtrips to an awesome camp below Perry N. Boday from the Wolfe Creek Trailhead. Some of the biggest grizzly tracks I've ever seen. Some of the most water logged meadows ever. Thanks for a great report.

So many beautiful scenes! I never would have heard of the Absarokas if it weren't for BCP and reports like this one. Thank you!

Looks like a great route especially from Crater along the divide to Marston! See any people back there?

Looks like a great route especially from Crater along the divide to Marston! See any people back there?
I think that was the highlight of the route.

Not a soul from TH-to-TH.

Brought back some fun memories of our trip last year - definitely a little quieter on the grizzly front. :lol:

Every time I see the picture on the home page, it just makes me smile.
I am glad you shared this.

I think that was the highlight of the route.

Not a soul from TH-to-TH.

Brought back some fun memories of our trip last year - definitely a little quieter on the grizzly front. :lol:
You just needed @mike_offerman to push for that summit. Lol.

Sounds like a great trip, I think that was my second favorite hike last year next to wrangell-elias.

Will eventually have those videos out...

View attachment 123800
View attachment 123801
On our way up.
View attachment 123803
View attachment 123804
View attachment 123806
Camp for the night.
View attachment 123810
View from camp.
View attachment 123809

View attachment 123811
Trail!
View attachment 123812
Love a good meadow.
View attachment 123813
Pretty warm through here - relished the water crossings.View attachment 123814
View attachment 123815
Looking back.
View attachment 123816
View attachment 123817
Camp for the night.
View attachment 123819
View attachment 123820

View attachment 123821
View attachment 123822
View attachment 123823
View attachment 123824
View attachment 123825
Thorofare Mountain.
View attachment 123826
View attachment 123827
Younts Peak.
View attachment 123828
View attachment 123829
View attachment 123830

View attachment 123831
View attachment 123832
View attachment 123833
View attachment 123834
View attachment 123835
View attachment 123836Home, sweet home.
View attachment 123837
View attachment 123838

View attachment 123839
View attachment 123841
View attachment 123842
View attachment 123843
View attachment 123844
View attachment 123845

Crescent Mountain.
View attachment 123846
Always love this view.
View attachment 123847
Your photos are fanstastic! Thanks for sharing. Do you carry anything besides a phone camera? I'm headed out in a few days and am debating whether or not to bring my "big" camera....

Great report @TheMountainRabbit! My jealousy meter is off the charts on this one. You're shots are beautiful.

Hey, I need you to go in next year and find where the old outfitter's trail over Majo Pass comes out on the Thorofare Creek side. I'll pay you good money for the information. :D

Also, I have decided that when I hang up my poles and hiking boots, that I will live vicariously through you. :)

Again, wonderful report.

According to Biscuit McGee: "It is small, one-sided, and lacks sectarian images. It is not legal tender and has no monetary value in any jurisdiction, except in isolated cases in the Thorofare."