tent stakes?

mathew

I am looking to replace the steel stakes that came with my tent and was wondering if I am wasting money and not really saving much weight or do they actually save weight. I am not an ultra light backpacker but I do not care for the steel stakes much, they bend way too easy. Which would be better, the MSR groundhogs, the MSR carbon core or any other suggestions?
Thanks for any input.

I have both styles. The carbon core stakes are amazingly light, but with a high price premium. Groundhog-style stakes aren't quite as svelte but they're affordable.

I've been using these cheapies from Walmart ($3 for 4 stakes) and they've been just fine for me. Google them and you can find several reviews comparing them to the MSR Groundhogs.

That's an awesome tip, @Udink, thanks. I love that style of stake, and love finding the version where the price isn't astronomical just because it's outdoor related. I'll have to go grab some of those for extras.

I'm a big fan of my groundhogs (the longer ones). I am an ultralighter, so I also have sorex carbon stakes, along with some titanium shepherds hooks. If it's going to be nice soft terrain, I take 2 carbon stakes and 4 shepherds hooks. If it'm not sure what I'm going to encounter, I'll either take the sorex carbon stakes, or the groundhogs. The groundhogs are great stakes. Just remember not to pound stakes in, that's when they bend and break.

I use the old standard aluminum round blue topped Easton ones. Have new fancy T ones sitting on the shelf. Old ones don't break and geez....what's the weight difference.......not noticeable

For car camping I use Snow Peak stakes that probably each weigh half of what my entire backpacking tent does :D.

Okay, I'm sure that is an exxageration, but now I'm curious myself so I'm going to try googling it...

Alright, looks like the Snow Peaks weigh 12 oz. each, so I wasn't exxagerating much. My BP tent, all in - tent, poles, stakes, guylines and stuff sacks comes in at just under 32 oz. Those bad boys are virtually indestructable though - solid forged stainless steel. I use a 5 pound hammer and if a rock is encountered I just hit them harder.

- DAA

Those bad boys are virtually indestructable though - solid forged stainless steel. I use a 5 pound hammer and if a rock is encountered I just hit them harder.

- DAA[/quote]

Wow just looked up the snow peak stakes, and it says "Impossible to bend. The 55c forged steel make it possible to drive this stake into asphalt."
Asphalt I'm impressed.
Jack

Short story about one of those tent stakes. Had one really stuck into a tree root and was using a long handled #2 shovel to pry it out. It came out all at once and sailed high into the air - humming loudly exactly like a tuning fork. It went SO high into the air that the humming became faint, then started to get louder as it descended back towards earth again. Earth... AND my head! It occurred to me just in time that the damn thing might well brain me if it came down on the top of my head and so I put the shovel up for a helmet. Not a bad play as the stake did in fact bounce off the shovel with not insignificant force!

- DAA

Look at the msr groundhog states. They are constructed of high quality aluminum, light, strong and on amazon you can pick 6 of them up on amazon for 18 bucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back