West Fork Black's Fork 8/15-8/18

leatherman

Huh?
There have been a lot of folks up this drainage this summer so I don't have a lot to add to what's already been posted. This was our first pack trip to the Uintas and it was certainly enough to whet our appetite for more. We had a late start the first day and due to the sheep grazing in the area we managed to lose the "maintained" trail, which was no big deal. We stayed the night in Bucks Pasture, enjoying the temperate evening with a couple of beers and starry skies.
P1080579.JPG

The next day we found the trial and made our way to Dead Horse Lake where we had it all to ourselves for 2 nights with nary a drop of rain - you can't ask for better than that. The fishing wasn't great, but the tiger trout were there in enough numbers to keep us trying.
P1080635.JPG

We fished EJOD lake but there was absolutely no sign of life. My biggest complaint about the whole trip is the people who have picketed their horses right in the camp sites, leaving piles of horse s**t at the very places that are flat enough to pitch a tent.

The evening light at Dead Horse Lake
P1080605.JPG

We took a short day hike up Dead Horse Pass. Here I am representing BCP.
P1080623.JPG

Dead Horse Lake from the pass
P1080620.JPG

The trail leading to Dead Horse Pass was not as steep as we thought it would be.
P1080628.JPG

And my Suburban at the trail head. I was the only one with a BCP sticker

P1080643.JPG

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Very nice. I think I'm going to follow suit and maybe head up there for Labor Day weekend. It's been a long time since I've been up that way and all these trip reports are making me want to get back up there.

Nice report.. It has been very busy up there, been going there for years and we would only see a few people if that. This year a different story though, great area thanks for the pictures.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks to nick for his recommendation of this hike. We really had a good time and most importantly I think my nephew enjoyed himself. I was very surprised that there weren't more people at the lake. Actually, the most people we saw was on top of Dead Horse Pass with multiple groups that were doing the Highline Trail. I would definitely do this one again.

Back