What is your sleeping bag lineup?

Several years back I bought a North Face Hightail 3S, a 15 degree rated bag with 850 fill and a little less than 2 lbs. I've had it out probably to 5 degrees wearing long johns and a pile jacket. Still pleased with it and not sure why it was discontinued. Like XJ, when it's more or less warm, it is unzipped and used as a throw blanket.

My main bags are a Marmot Hydrogen (30 deg., 1 lb. 7 oz.) inside a Marmot Helium (15 degrees, 2 lbs.) when it's cold. I also have several other bags, including an ancient Raging Inferno. I used to have a Blue Kazoo, but I gave it away to a homeless friend who was down on his luck. It was a great bag. Since I car camp, I don't worry about down getting wet, but if I backpacked, I might carry synthetic.

I don't zip up my bags, but sleep on a memory foam pad, which keeps me warm. I'm a little claustrophobic and don't like feeling trapped. With those bags, I am never cold, but if it gets damp, I have a lightweight Pendelton wool blanket I throw over everything. Each of my dogs also has a down bag, and between all three of them and my Marmots, it's kind of like sleeping in a big nest. Nice and cozy.

If I backpacked, I'd make them carry their own bags. I like sleeping with dogs, and an engineer friend actually figured out how many BTUs each dog burned during the night, and it was kind of like having a little furnace along.

Last edited:
For pretty much all backpacking since 2015, I've been using an Enlightened Equipment 10deg quilt (the sewn footbox one). Brilliant piece of gear. Light and warm. I'm a cold sleeper, so with some good long johns and a beanie it's good to a bit below freezing for me (mid 20s or so). Packs reasonably small. I'm thinking of getting a 40deg quilt from them for summer/hot weather backpacking from Enlightened Equipment.

For cooler weather when I'm car camping, an old Marmot Never Summer 0deg sleeping bag. Once it gets much below freezing, I much prefer a bag to a quilt. But at a full 5 pounds by itself, I no longer am interested in carrying this Marmot beast, though I have on a few trips in the past. It is very comfy and quite warm. I've used it in my Seek Outside tipi with wood stove on a mid 20s night and never had to zip it all the way up with the stove on a low burn.

For a lot of warm weather car camping/overnights now, I use an old North Face Cat's Meow 20deg bag. It's been used and abused, has lost a bit of its loft, but is still going strong and is simpler to wash often (which is nice when I sweat a lot on summer nights).

I'm thinking of getting a 40deg quilt from them for summer/hot weather backpacking from Enlightened Equipment.

FWIW, You should check out Underground Quilts https://ugqoutdoor.com as well as Enlightened Eq. I have an underquilt (hammock) and two top quilts from them and have been really happy with the price/quality. But I've heard really good things about EE as well.

Back