What's your favorite backcountry lens?

Deadeye008

Hambone
My lens collection was built around my portrait photography business so some of the lenses that I love are just not practical to take into the backcountry. For example my Canon 70-200 2.8 IS is not only 8"x3" but it weighs 52 oz! Not something I want to pack around for days, but the images it takes are amazing! Just this last year I picked up a Tokina 10-17 fisheye that I have really loved using in the backcountry. It is really fishy at 10 and not very fishy at all at 17. I love the effects I can get with this lens. It is my favorite backcountry lens right now. What's everyone else using?

My favorite landscape lens that I'm currently using is the Canon 16-35mm 2.8 II

Jealousy....

If I'm only going to bring one lens, it is without a doubt, my Canon 10-22mm EF-S. If I had a fancy pants full-frame camera like the 5D, I'd go with the 17-40 f/4 L or the 16-35 f/2.8 L like Randy has.

If I think there's going to be a reasonable chance for wildlife or good long shots, I'll pack my Sigma 18-200 but I don't use it nearly as much as my wide. And for most desert trips, I wouldn't even consider bringing it. Narrow spaces + wide lens = awesome.

For my Nikon D7000 (crop frame) camera I usually carry the Sigma 10-20, Nikon 18-55 VR, and Nikon 55-300 VR. I also carry a Canon G12. When weight is a consideration I leave the 55-300 at home and if weight really is a factor, I just take the G12. I just got the Sunex 5.6 for shooting 360 panoramas but it's kind of heavy and I'm not sure how much I will use it.

I pack my tokina 11-16 f2.8 andsigma 10mm fisheye.

I hope to pick up the 24-70 f2.8 or 16-35mm f2.8 here soon. I also plan on selling off everything so I can upgrade to the 5d MkIII once it comes out.

I gots a sigma 10-20 for my Canon and I also use a 28-105. I think it's to 105mm Can't remember. It's an older lens left over from the 35mm days, but it's works really well. Better than the kit lens.

My favorite landscape lens that I'm currently using is the Canon 16-35mm 2.8 II

jealousy x2. I typically take my 17-40L and my 15mm fisheye. I'm relatively happy with both. I'd like to get Bills lens the super wide tokina and then the 17-55 lens in a perfect world I think that would fit me well.

jealousy x2. I typically take my 17-40L and my 15mm fisheye. I'm relatively happy with both. I'd like to get Bills lens the super wide tokina and then the 17-55 lens in a perfect world I think that would fit me well.

unfortunately I will be looking to sell my 11-16 here soon.

Back