YNP Fawn Pass to Sportsman & Crescent Lake

shredhiker

I'm planning a bit of a last minute trip here, and was able to get a permit for the route below coming up here in a few weeks, staying at wb1, 1g2, wd3, wd5, we6, we4, and we1. Aside from a few particular questions, I'm curious to hear from anyone here who's familiar with the area. I chose campsites based on what's available and an old guidebook, the only other potential change currently on my radar is maybe trying to get wd4 at High Lake rather than wd5.

-Any preference between entering via Bighorn Pass vs Fawn Pass TH? The mileage difference is negligible.

-I'm going to try to change the night at we4 (Specimen Creek) to one of the sites at Shelf Lake. then hoping to do a side trip, up to the sheep mountain summit, or along the sky rim trail headed SW. Would one be preferable to the other?

-Anything else worth knowing about the area? I've wanted to hike this part of the park since I looked down from Bunsen Peak our first time out there.

2023-07-21_23h20_36.png

I'd take the Bighorn Pass TH, primarily because the Bighorn Pass Trail slowly climbs up the Gallatin Valley to WB1 whereas the Fawn Pass trail climbs up higher, then has a relatively steep 400-foot drop into the campsite area. You'll be climbing up this steep section the next day also, which isn't a huge deal, but Bighorn route is easier.

I hope you can obtain the Shelf Lake site. Absolutely stunning up there. Hard choice but I'd probably take the Sky Rim trail as mentioned. It's a fun route out to Big Horn Peak.

Day 3 is going to be a long day. Only about 13-14 miles but it's a steep climb up to Electric Pass and a really steep descent to Sportsman's Lake. If you're flying straight from SC to Yellowstone area, and hitting the trail without any acclimation, I'd consider staying at 1G3 or 1G4 before heading to Sportsman's Lake.

Have a great trip!

Yeah days 2 & 3 are both 13-14 miles with 2-3k of elevation gain. That's not exactly ideal, but with the amount of day light I should be able to take plenty of breaks along the way. I'll have about a day to spend in Dubois before driving up to start the hike, so I won't be starting immediately off the flight, but still plan on moving slowly the first day or two. At least adapting from east coast time makes it easy to get an early start.

I've only got about 2 miles between we6 & we4, so I'll likely make a side trip up to Shelf Lake if I can't get a site there. I'll keep Big Horn Peak in mind, if I'm able to swing it.

Thanks so much for the response.

Cutoff the nose on the east end.... save a few miles, country looks the same thru there

I was going to suggest what @Bob mentioned (just go upstream from Gardner Hole Campsite to 1G3). Just be aware that route cuts through the Gallatin Bear Mgmt Area for about a mile and a half which does not allow off-trail travel. Chances of being caught are slim but...

I was going to suggest what @Bob mentioned (just go upstream from Gardner Hole Campsite to 1G3). Just be aware that route cuts through the Gallatin Bear Mgmt Area for about a mile and a half which does not allow off-trail travel. Chances of being caught are slim but...
Yeah, looking at it from the satellite view, it looks like it's probably doable. but the northern half of that stretch along the river sits inside the BMA.

Just flew back home last night, the hike was fantastic overall. I was bluff charged by a girzzly on Fawn Creek during day#2, and ended up completing the route 2 days earlier than I'd planned.

I'll try to get a trip report up next week sometime.

Just flew back home last night, the hike was fantastic overall. I was bluff charged by a girzzly on Fawn Creek during day#2, and ended up completing the route 2 days earlier than I'd planned.

Wow! Interested to see the report! Sounds like the bluff charge put some pep in your step.

Wow! Interested to see the report! Sounds like the bluff charge put some pep in your step.
I thought about hiking out to the interior road from 1G2 that following morning & ending the trip early, but I dismissed that notion after thinking on it for a while. I reported the encounter to the BCO when I finally did make it out, they updated the backcountry situation report accordingly, and the location provided is pretty accurate.

I ended up reaching Shelf Lake around 1pm on day 6, and even though I had two more nights on my permit, I was only 8 miles from the trailhead & hiking out gave me a couple of lazy/free days without cutting the overall route short.

Were you able to have your spray ready, or did the bluff charge happen to quickly to prepare for it? Glad you're okay, and looking forward to your report.

I'll be heading up to that general area in a couple of weeks, hope to do some day hikes to Fawn Pass, and Bighorn Pass.

Were you able to have your spray ready, or did the bluff charge happen to quickly to prepare for it? Glad you're okay, and looking forward to your report.

I'll be heading up to that general area in a couple of weeks, hope to do some day hikes to Fawn Pass, and Bighorn Pass.
I had my spray in hand, but was a split second too late getting the safety off before the bluff charge occurred. He got behind a few trees kinda watching me through them for a few seconds afterward, during which time I had the safety off & pointed his way, he barely poked his head out from behind there before taking off the other direction.

I've always known they were fast, but the amount of time it took between hearing the noise and him being right up on me a real learning experience all the same.

Were you solo or with a group? You're definitely never going to forget that trip! Did you finish the trip or bail out? I've bailed before, no shame it that lol. Backcountry in GYE you are aware of what you sign up for, you KNOW they are out there- but until that adrenaline rush/fear hits you- you really KNOW... ha ha
I've always known they were fast, but the amount of time it took between hearing the noise and him being right up on me a real learning experience all the same.
Good reminder of spray in hand and safety off in short distance sight lines. Have a friend that won't walk through a willow tunnel unless his spray is in hand and safety off.

Glad it turned out good for you!!

Were you solo or with a group? You're definitely never going to forget that trip! Did you finish the trip or bail out? I've bailed before, no shame it that lol. Backcountry in GYE you are aware of what you sign up for, you KNOW they are out there- but until that adrenaline rush/fear hits you- you really KNOW... ha ha

Good reminder of spray in hand and safety off in short distance sight lines. Have a friend that won't walk through a willow tunnel unless his spray is in hand and safety off.

Glad it turned out good for you!!
I finished up the route, but did complete it a few days ahead of schedule. I thought about bailing out, but I knew it would just be a giant hassle to get back to my car, and within a day or two I'd be somewhere else in the backcountry. I just posted some photos and a write up in the trip report section.

It's been common practice for me to have my spray in hand in situations like you're talking about. Where this occurred, the trail and most of the surrounding area was wide open, but speckled with patches of low visibility, particularly around the creek that was down below me. While I've always been on high alert walking through willow tunnels, etc. there was definitely a lesson learned about letting my guard down in other terrain.

I agree, we're aware what we sign up for hiking out there. But you don't truly know until you experience it like that.

OK I missed it... I will check out the trip report. Thanks again for sharing your encounter. I'm heading to Yellowstone mid Sept and will definitely pass your story along.

OK I missed it... I will check out the trip report. Thanks again for sharing your encounter. I'm heading to Yellowstone mid Sept and will definitely pass your story along.
I'll be out there as well, doing a Thorofare trip 9/5-9/13. Planning on car camping the nights before & after.