Larry Canyon, 11/17/12

lostlandscapes

rope mule
nick, langutah, neiloro and I took advantage of some mild autumn weather and visited the Roost for a little mid-November canyoneering. Larry Canyon was first up on the menu, and it'd be the maiden voyage for the whole crew. Not oblivious to public opinion, our hopes were high for this descent. Thankfully, not only did Larry not disappoint, but he quite easily trumped our expectations.

View larger map.
Soaring walls, subterranean chambers, a sinister underbelly, a slanted hallway, open vistas, a spicy crack climb, and a healthy dose of late-afternoon road slogging. Larry's got quite the personality disorder--in a good way.

Enjoy the video!

Featured image for homepage:
slide.jpg

how'd you like that sand-slog at the end?

Pretty rough ending. Definitely wouldn't want to slog that in the summer. Thankfully for us, it was cool and the light was amazing, which made it a lot easier. Not to mention the whiskey. And not to mention the mile we shaved off when we successfully thumbed someone who was heading back from the Alcatraz trailhead.

Nice video footage lostlandscapes ! I especially like the perspective when you're above everyone and they're in the canyon.

I've watched that like 6 times now. Absolutely love it. Great video for a great canyon. And yes, the slog out was not the best but still kind of a nice walk. Definitely wouldn't do it again without a car shuttle though.

Love larry canyon, killer video! I still need to get mine together.. we ran the slog back to the larry TR when I did it which made it a nice easy jaunt.

That looks great! These amazing TR of canyoneering are slowly converting me to the darkside.

Also, I love the Mogwai track you picked. Something about post-rock always goes well with epic features like that slot.

Excellent video production for an excellent canyon and hike with the bros.! I didn't mind the road walk at the end at all. I was still stoked about a most-excellent day, and, lostlandscapes had a flask of whiskey (Ezekial or Eazy or somesuch whisky if memory serves).:whistle:

You know what - the lower part of the canyon below the slot, the exit through the steepish crack and the slickrock ramps to get out were as much fun for me as the slot. Especially with the views of the slickrock expanses of the Dirty Devil to gaze upon.

IMG_4897.jpg

That looks great! These amazing TR of canyoneering are slowly converting me to the darkside.

Also, I love the Mogwai track you picked. Something about post-rock always goes well with epic features like that slot.

Thanks Dan--welcome to the darkside. Mogwai is one of my favorite bands, and I agree--their music seems to have been made for this kind of stuff.

very, very pretty video, Tim. perhaps even my fav so far! I think Larry and I need to have a date.

Back