Starting down the trail

The last time I was backpacking was when I was in scouts. I am now 45 so I have had several zeros along this trail of life. Maybe I will get there someday.

In my early twenties I listed to "A walk in the woods" on books on tape while I drove big truck. That was the first I had ever heard of the AT. Of course life came first and there was no chance of walking the trail.

Fast forward 20 some odd years and I am now married, and my wife is pushing me to follow my dreams of walking the AT. In 8 years I can retire, and that is when I will set out on my adventures. Until then, I am going to use the time to build up my stamina by doing hikes here in Arkansas.

A lot has changes since I was in scouts (I've gotten fatter LOL), so I'm sure I will have plenty of dumb rookie questions.

I would say to not look at the AT yet. I have known and known of a few people who have gone after the AT and broken down at some point. At least one of them still has mangled knees 6 months later. The thread amongst all of them is they had not significantly done ALL the prep work required. By prep I mean miles and miles of hiking, day after day.

With the preceding in mind, first order of business is to get out there. Do not sweat the gear too much. Here in NM, where a lot of folks are poor, I see kids with all kinds of gear strpped to the outside of their 70's era backpacks.

What does matter emphatically is learning and practicing zero impact camping skills. Now get out there! :twothumbs:

I would say to not look at the AT yet. I have known and known of a few people who have gone after the AT and broken down at some point. At least one of them still has mangled knees 6 months later. The thread amongst all of them is they had not significantly done ALL the prep work required. By prep I mean miles and miles of hiking, day after day.

With the preceding in mind, first order of business is to get out there. Do not sweat the gear too much. Here in NM, where a lot of folks are poor, I see kids with all kinds of gear strpped to the outside of their 70's era backpacks.

What does matter emphatically is learning and practicing zero impact camping skills. Now get out there! :twothumbs:

Oh, I plan on using the next 8 years to train for the AT. Once I get all my gear then its going to be multiple hikes a month.

Back