Album Up Close and Personal -- Photos Focused on the Details

Always good stuff to see on sandbars in the Missouri River

011722-16-L.jpg

We had several close cacti encounters in the Mojave desert…. lots of prickly stuff, have to watch where you place the feet.

Think this is a baby Cottontop cactus
059E927B-18D2-400F-A05F-0AEF5BE7A4C9.jpeg

587D2EAF-36F3-4739-AB4F-872DEA042870.jpeg

Rick had a cholla encounter.…. I had to cut the main piece away first, then pull each individual spine out. I had long pants on, but also had a prickly pear spine just below the knee when we were scrambling in the boulders. We both had a spine in a finger.

3DC20699-71B6-4A4A-93A6-5EE90D9A2E0C.jpeg

We had several close cacti encounters in the Mojave desert…. lots of prickly stuff, have to watch where you place the feet.

Think this is a baby Cottontop cactus
View attachment 107494

View attachment 107495

Rick had a cholla encounter.…. I had to cut the main piece away first, then pull each individual spine out. I had long pants on, but also had a prickly pear spine just below the knee when we were scrambling in the boulders. We both had a spine in a finger.

View attachment 107496
What a cool cactus! Never seen one of those before. Also ouch!

Some icicles from the same storm. They started to drip as the morning sun warmed them up.

5J5A2808.JPG

Not that you can really see it from the picture, but the cool thing is the water droplets have an inverted image of the background.

When the weather is really gloomy in the rainforest, I only focus on small details on my walks.
There is a lot to see and explore. And Iʻm sort of obsessed with taking pictures of mosses and ferns

young%20fern%20frond%20copy-XL.jpg

curled up fern fronds

hapuʻu%20fern%20and%20pulu%20copy-XL.jpg

Young curled up Hapuʻu fern: the fluffy yellow-brown stuff is called Pulu and was used as stuffing in bedding. There was even a Pulu factory in the park, and the ruins are still there in the backcountry

fern%20and%20water%20drops%20copy-XL.jpg

raindrops on ferns

moss%20close%20up%20copy-XL.jpg

moss close-up

moss%20in%20filtered%20light%20copy-XL.jpg

When the weather is really gloomy in the rainforest, I only focus on small details on my walks.
There is a lot to see and explore. And Iʻm sort of obsessed with taking pictures of mosses and ferns

young%20fern%20frond%20copy-XL.jpg

curled up fern fronds

hapuʻu%20fern%20and%20pulu%20copy-XL.jpg

Young curled up Hapuʻu fern: the fluffy yellow-brown stuff is called Pulu and was used as stuffing in bedding. There was even a Pulu factory in the park, and the ruins are still there in the backcountry

fern%20and%20water%20drops%20copy-XL.jpg

raindrops on ferns

moss%20close%20up%20copy-XL.jpg

moss close-up

moss%20in%20filtered%20light%20copy-XL.jpg
Amazing details! Love seeing these.

Back