White Rim Trail - Fort Ruin Question

DrNed

The mountains are calling and I must go
I start my White Rim trip early Monday morning - very excited!

One of the sights along the road is the Fort Ruin. It's a mile and half hike off the White Rim.
enhanced-buzz-wide-22893-1406862095-7.jpg

Below this butte is the Green River and an old Outlaw Cabin.
Many people make this stop while floating the Green River past Mineral Bottom.

My question is, is it possible to drop down off this butte to the level of the river?

Looking at the satellite image, there is clearly a trail, but looking at the shadows it
looks like there is a decent cliff there too.
Fort Ruin.jpg

Has anyone ever dropped off this butte to the level of the river and what would you
rate the difficulty?

Thanks.

Not me Dr. Even though I have been out there 10 times ;) BUT with that large of scale a road below the rim and on top of the butte I would say with great confidence that you can walk that road whether it has further eroded or not. Since you can see that feature from space I am pretty sure it is an old mining road that was cut through the cliffs. That said, boots on the ground to scout are your only guarantee of knowing what is going on. Good luck and have an enjoyable trip. Let us know if you make it to the fort.

Art - your wisdom and experience has
no comparison. Thank you.

I will make it to the fort and if there
Is any remnant of a trail I'll make it
over to the cabin.

Thanks again.

Not sure if this answers your questions...but I have hiked a few times from the river and returned...I walked up from the cabin along the shore and then up to the ruin. I reversed coarse...Look around the river. There are some other ruins too:)

Last edited:
Back